Contact Me:

stellagunATgmailDOTcom

Friday, May 7, 2010

Lullabies

For the third installment of Olivia's lullaby playlist I decided to instead list some of the bands that I believe Olivia likes because either a.) They made her dance in my belly or b.) they relax her or put her to sleep now:
Portishead, particularly because Todd and I would listen to them a lot in the early months of our relationship, sharing a twin bed in a tiny downtown apartment. Beth Gibbons sang us to sleep.
Beach House, my bath music. Lots of baths were had when I was pregnant.
Deathcab for Cutie, nothing relaxed the pea more as a newborn than Deathcab.
Radiohead, a highly influential band for me and a staple of the lullaby playlist.
João Gilberto, I grew up listening to this man's voice. I can clearly remember watching my dad with such love as a child, his handsome face and a glass of wine. Bossa Nova will always be so meaningful to me.

My hope is that the pea will enjoy music as much as I have. Nothing can keep you company like your favorite album, there is no therapy like a song that brings you to a place no one else can go. It is such an outlet and a release. In retrospect, I wish I would have had speakers in that awful operation room when Olivia was born. Perhaps Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

I will do the rest later. Good night :)

No comments: