Contact Me:

stellagunATgmailDOTcom

Monday, August 10, 2009

Doctor Visit

We finally had our first San Diego appointment. I really liked the doctor, a funny little man named Dr. Perez. All is great it seems, he says both baby and I are doing very well. My blood pressure is good, weight gain is healthy, cervix is how it should be. Then we had an ultrasound and chubby is 3lbs 4oz! This is just an estimate, but that is a very healthy and on target weight for her gestational age. She was very active and hiding her face, but she did flash her lady parts! There is NO DOUBT that this child is a girl. None. It was funny to see her moving her little fingers and snacking on (opening her mouth and swallowing) amniotic fluid (yum?).
I signed up for an infant CPR class and a breastfeeding class. Also, I have opted to not take the generic childbirth classes. After doing some research (I'm getting really good at research) I learned that most likely I will benefit more from reading certain books than attending generic classes. The really good ones are super expensive and not very available, and the literature can be just as informative. I just ordered Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth... she is pretty much the Queen Bee of midwifery. She's even on Wikipedia. I wish I could have her deliver my baby.

4 comments:

The Garlick's said...

You're going to LOVE LOVE LOVE Ina's book. It is so inspirational. Her whole approach to pregnancy and childbirth is so calming and soothing. It makes you realize how NORMAL it is and empowers you. Enjoy!!

Jessica said...

Valeria, maybe you would like to take Birthing From Within classes? My home birth midwife teaches them. It's 4 weeks on Sundays. Jorge and I are doing the September classes. Maybe she has space for another couple. I'm not sure how much it costs, for us its included in the homebirth fee. http://www.solbeginnings.com/page5/page5.html
I'm currently reading the book Birthing From Within. If you don't want to take the classes but want to borrow the book, let me know and I'll drop it off.
Jessica

My3Sunshines said...

Valeria~I found your blogspot through Babycenter...I am also due in October and live in the San Diego area. By the way I love how you call your little one a little pea too cute.

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I took a childbirth class... and didn't learn anything we didn't know already! Turns out reading up and doing research can be just as informative if not more so.