Contact Me:

stellagunATgmailDOTcom

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mom Cliches & Being Conventional

I apologize for being a slacker blogger these past few days. It's just that life is so FULL and BUSY now. I recently went back to work part-time, Todd is taking summer school classes, Olivia seems to be learning something new daily. The days are just too short. Isn't that a mom cliche? Always having a zillion things to do and complaining about needing more hours in the day?
Well, speaking of cliches it seems that my little family seems to be allergic to all things conventional. Sometimes I ask myself if I subconsciously choose the path that will take me down the road less traveled, but I really don't think I do. Let me better explain. Lots of changes have been happening around here. Now that I am working and Todd has cut back on work our roles are reversing. When I was staying home full-time it was my job to play housewife and Todd went out and earned the bacon while also going to school. After lots of talking, calculating, and filling out Google spreadsheets we came to the conclusion that once we move into our new apartment I am going to work and Todd is going to be home with Olivia and will work/go to school on my days off.
It's a crazy balancing act but Todd needs to finish his engineering degree and it just so happens that at this point in time I am the one that can make more money. So, here we are. I am getting used to juggling my job and being an attached parent while also trying to keep my sanity. I've realized that working moms are often scrutinized and non-working moms always have to defend their choice to stay home and to be honest I am quite tired of it. I think we all need to do what works for our families/is best for our kids and stop passing judgment because it does not benefit anyone.
I do have to say that I am lucky and my situation is not the norm. If I am at work and Olivia is home with Todd I know that she is being nurtured and stimulated by him. Not only that, he also cooks and cleans! If Pea happens to be with my mom, I know that we share the same parenting values. My daughter is so happy and loved and I am so relieved that the husband and I have a way of working things out and letting the bits that we cannot control just fall into place. I always try to keep a good attitude and positive outlook even when everything has gone bananas but it seems to really make all the difference in the outcome of everything.

Today at 3:00pm we sign the papers on our new place. YAY!

No comments: