Contact Me:

stellagunATgmailDOTcom

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The 3 Wise Men & Borrowed Boobie Milk

In Mexico and several other countries in the world, children set out their shoes on the eve of January 6th so that the Three Wise Men will leave them treats or small gifts on their way from taking gifts to baby Jesus. I was raised Catholic and though it had been a while since they came to see me my mom decided that since Olivia is here they would return. Though I am now a mom myself and not a little girl nor a true Catholic my mom encouraged everyone in our household to set out our shoes.

Photobucket
This was taken before my mom, dad, and sister added theirs.

This morning I awoke to find clothes for Olivia, a new book and coffee mug for Todd, and new Nars blush and a comfy lounging outfit for me. My mom is amazing and I can only hope to be almost as extraordinary a mother and woman as she has been and will always be. Now that I think about it, it might be fun to do this for Olivia just like she would do it for us. I just have to think of a creative way of incorporating it without being overtly religious about it. I am still on the fence about how to raise her as far as faith goes since Todd is atheist and I believe that spirituality is important and crucial but I do not like religion. I will take it as it comes for now.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my milk supply is very low and I can really only nurse Olivia in the mornings. That is when my supply peaks and she actually feeds long enough to feel satisfied without crying because not enough comes out. My new and favorite mama friend is exclusively breastfeeding her adorable son and has been sharing her breast milk with Olivia. She pumps and freezes it and then gives it to me. I am so, so grateful to her for this. She offered it to me and I gladly took it. Many people may think this is weird but I would much rather give her the human milk that someone I know and trust produced than infant formula that is factory made and not natural. I do not believe formula is poison like I have read some moms say here on the web, but of course I will give my baby girl boob milk over anything else even if it is not always from me. What a wonderful thing to be able to do that.

2 comments:

Eliska Bobeeska said...

Hi Val. I KNOW you have done your research and I am sure you already know this, but I just can't help mention it. I have always breast fed my baby exclusivly and still do(she is 13 months now), so please know that I have experience. The more that you nurse- the more milk you will make. I bet if you sat with the baby and literally nursed her everytime she was hungry (probably all day really) you would make more milk. The less you nurse- the less you will make. There are some amazing books out there about the subject (i bet you have read them).My favorite is "breastfeeding made simple" by Nancy Mohrbacher. I also wanted to share that STD's (Hepitis C etc) can be transmitted through breast milk, so you may consider having your friend tested just in case? I bet you already know that too - but just wanted to say.

Jessica said...

Eliska, I don't know your email address or blog so I don't know if you'll get this message.
I agree that breastfeeding is all based on supply and demand.
I am the mama supplying Olivia's milk. I'm sure you know that I'm Natalie, your old roomate's little sister. I am trustworthy and I am clean. I was even tested for hep c when I was pregnant since I had gotten tattoos when I was 8 weeks and of course it was negative.