Contact Me:

stellagunATgmailDOTcom

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Olivia Simone is here!

The little pea came into the world via c-section on Tuesday, October 27th at 12:26pm. She weighed 7 lbs. 2 ounces and is 20 inches long. Olivia is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. She is perfect. Of course, the reality of her birth story was not my ideal birth. I was induced on Sunday and after 40 hours of pre-labor the doctors decided that the best thing for her was a cesearan section. I did not oppose it because 1.) I no longer wanted more drugs pumped into my body. My cervix was not dilating and therefore not reacting to the pitocin. 2.) The induction methods were starting to affect the baby and that is the last thing I wanted. I cried as they prepared me for surgery and the epidural to numb me made me shake. I prepared for months for a natural vaginal birth (books, classes, videos) and instead I found myself on an operating table scared to death and unable to feel my legs. The odd thing is that I forgot to realize something very important. My cousin pointed out that I got what I had wanted all along. It was just Todd and me at her birth. Sure, there were several doctors and nurses, but in my mind and in those moments I only felt Todd at my side and together we waited for our little girl to come. I didn't stop to think how intimate those moments were and how special it was when I heard the excitement in his voice when he said, "Val, she's beautiful!" I can still hear his voice perfectly! And she is beautiful. What more could I ask for? An amazing man to share her with, my family and friends anxiously waiting right outside the operating room, and a gorgeous and healthy baby girl. I am so lucky. So incredibly lucky.

Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

The Garlick's said...

Congratulations, she's a beauty!! Wonderful birth story, too...

Eliska Bobeeska said...

What a beautiful baby girl! I'm so happy for you and love your story. Your honesty in this blog has found me laughing out loud, crying tears, and running to hold my baby close. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love your blog.